Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious asparagus cooked in creamy rice
- 1 -2 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice (2 tbsp. apple juice concentrate, fill remaining space in cup with water)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- ground black pepper (optional)
- Heat the stove to a medium heat. Melt the butter inside the saucepan. Chop the onion and stir in with butter until union is soft, not brown (takes about 2 to 3 minutes). Stir in rice, stir continuously for about two minutes. Add apple juice; stir for another minute.
- Begin adding chicken broth. Add by 1/2 Cup intervals. Allow the rice to absorb the broth before adding more. Cut the asparagus stems into halves. After ten minutes, add the asparagus, and continue to add the chicken broth until a creamy sauce accompanies the rice. Cook until the rice is soft, and to your own satisfaction.
- Dish into a bowl and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. Serve hot.
- Serves 4.
- Total cooking time: about 45 minutes to an hour.
Great recipe! I used bottled apple juice since I didn't have any apple juice concentrate on hand, added about a 1/3c more chicken broth, and I didn't add the cheese on the top (my kids aren't really cheese fans), but everyone at the table loved it, even the picky neighbor boy who ate with us tonight! Thanks for posting
This was reduced by half and Arborio rice used. The chicken stock was warmed before using. I did stir some of the grated cheese into the cooked rice as well as grating on top. Made for *PAC Spring 2008*