Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from "Remember When We Cooked", with some slight variation.
- 2 cans asparagus
- 2 cans cream of celery soup
- 4 eggs, harboiled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain asparagas and retain 4 tablespoons of the liquid.
- Dilute the soup with the reserved liquid.
- In medium greased casserole, make layers as follows: 1 can asparagas, 1 can diluted soup, 1/2 chopped eggs, 1/2 grated cheese, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Repeat, top with bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
I also made this as a 1/2 recipe and I used Crm of Mushroom soup. I would only change this by mixing the tabasco in with the soup.
This was okay. The taste was fine and it was definitely better than we expected for canned vegetables. We like crisper vegetables but I had these cans of asparagus that I needed to use for something. I didn't add the eggs as I didn't have any hardboiled ones, wasn't making them and my family doesn't really like them. No tabasco sauce either as there was none in the house and I decided not to use any of my husband's many habanero pepper based sauces. The cans of asparagus that I used were 15 oz each and a can of cream of celery soup was 10 3/4 oz each. I used 2 cups of cheddar cheese. I may make this again but will try it with fresh asparagus.
What a super side dish. I cut it in half and it worked like a charm. I served this with a shrimp dish and it was a superb match. I usually don't do canned veggies, however, with no fresh asparagus around at this time of year this worked beautifully. So glad you posted this vverkin925.