Recipe by Rita~
This is a sweet and sour condiment. Use it in Chinese cuisine as a dip for deep-fried dishes, such as spring rolls, egg rolls, pork, noodles, and deep-fried tofu as well as for roast duck or chicken. It is made from sweet tart plums along with sugar, vinegar, ginger and chilies.
Top Review by chasingstar
This recipe was absolutely fabulous! I was looking for a creative way to use up some of my frozen plums from last year. I doubled the recipe, increased the onions to 2 cups, ginger to 2 & 1/2 Tbs and didn't double the pepper flakes (I'm a light weight). Delicious, thick glaze! Thanks Rita
- 6 cups pitted chopped red plums
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar, 5% acidity
- 1 small onion (1/2 cup minced)
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried chili pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Thai basil or 1 tablespoon tarragon, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil, minced
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy bottom pan bring to boil stirring until thick and syrupy 1 1/2 hours when it reaching 215 F degrees.
- Fill sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims and place lids and rings and process 15 minutes. Shut flame off, remove lid and leave for 5 more minutes.
- Remove to a towel-lined counter to cool in a draft free spot.
- Remove rings and wipe clean, label and place in storage in a cool, dark place.