A change of pace for you chili lovers. This is something I've developed over the years as a way to use up hoisin sauce. Can be made in crock pot...just throw everything in and cook on low for 6 hours. This makes very thick chili, if you like it thinner, just add water or broth.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned (can sub turkey or even chicken if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons thai style chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute or 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- Sautee onions, red pepper and garlic in sesame oil until tender (about 5 min).
- Add remaining ingredients,bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.