Artichoke bottoms take the place of English Muffins in this quick & very elegant supper or breakfast. Substitute reoasted mushrooms for the pancetta for a vegetarian option. Serve with a tossed salad of baby greens and/or some fruit salad. Found in EatingWell March/April 2008 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 canned artichoke bottoms (1 1/2 cans, rinsed, see Shopping Tip)
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, divided, plus
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano, for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped pancetta or 1/3 cup roasted mushroom
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese (NeufchÃƒ tel)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F
- 2Toss artichoke bottoms with 2 teaspoons oil and 2 teaspoons oregano.
- 3Place them top-side down on half of a large baking sheet.
- 4Spread pancetta in an even layer on the other half.
- 5Roast until the artichokes are just beginning to brown and the pancetta is crispy, 12 to 14 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and water in a small bowl until smooth.
- 7Beat eggs and egg whites in a large bowl.
- 8Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 9Add the eggs and cook, folding and stirring frequently with a heatproof rubber spatula until almost set, about 2 minutes.
- 10Remove from the heat and fold in cream cheese, the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and salt.
- 11To serve, divide the artichoke bottoms among 4 plates.
- 12Top each artichoke with equal portions scrambled egg, crispy pancetta and creamy lemon sauce.
- 13Garnish with oregano sprigs, if desired.
- 14**Shopping tip: Artichoke bottoms can be purchased in 14-ounce cans—found near other canned vegetables. If unavailable, substitute two 14-ounce cans rinsed and halved artichoke hearts.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichoke-Scrambled Eggs Benedict
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.9
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 324.2 mg
- Sodium 634.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 22.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: