Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great one-dish meal in the crockpot. You can also substitute an equivalent amount of another vegetable (asparagus and broccoli are both good), making this a versatile recipe you can use often. When I make this dish I tend to use more pepper and basil than garlic, and just a tiny hint of dill. PLEASE NOTE: Due to comments in reviews on this and a similar recipe of mine, I've clarified that you need to use converted or brown rice for this to turn out right. Sorry for any confusion!
- Spray crockery insert with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place rice in crockpot and add the broth.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place chicken on rice and top with artichoke hearts.
- Season Cream of Chicken soup to taste with salt, pepper, basil, garlic, and dill; spoon soup over the layer of chicken.
- Cover and cook for 4 - 5 hours. check rice and stir about an hour before cooking is complete to avoid "mushy" rice.
The previous review had me a little timid, so I decided to make the artichoke chicken on its own, and stir in a pack of microwave instant brown rice just before stirring. And that actually worked out really really well! The flavours in the chicken dish are lovely - tangy artichoke with a slightly creamy sauce combine really well. With a bit of a tweak (and not a major one) this is a lovely dinner!
I am sorry, but the rice just never did seem completely done in the middle but turned mushy on the outside. I did use jasmine rice and I did stir to avoid the mushy rice as per the recipe instructions. This had a good flavor and was very simple to assemble. I would like to try it in the future possibly using steamed rice and making a sauce with the artichokes for the chicken. I hope someone has better success with this. Thanks for sharing your recipe.