Recipe by foxfyre
This is a great one-dish meal in the crockpot. You can also substitute an equivalent amount of another vegetable (asparagus and broccoli are both good), making this a versatile recipe you can use often. When I make this dish I tend to use more pepper and basil than garlic, and just a tiny hint of dill. PLEASE NOTE: Due to comments in reviews on this and a similar recipe of mine, I've clarified that you need to use converted or brown rice for this to turn out right. Sorry for any confusion!
Top Review by JennyMidget
The previous review had me a little timid, so I decided to make the artichoke chicken on its own, and stir in a pack of microwave instant brown rice just before stirring. And that actually worked out really really well! The flavours in the chicken dish are lovely - tangy artichoke with a slightly creamy sauce combine really well. With a bit of a tweak (and not a major one) this is a lovely dinner!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups converted rice or 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- garlic powder
- dill weed
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray crockery insert with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place rice in crockpot and add the broth.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place chicken on rice and top with artichoke hearts.
- Season Cream of Chicken soup to taste with salt, pepper, basil, garlic, and dill; spoon soup over the layer of chicken.
- Cover and cook for 4 - 5 hours. check rice and stir about an hour before cooking is complete to avoid "mushy" rice.