Recipe by Amber Dawn
7 ww points. A different spin on "chicken and rice." This is a very easy and tasty dish to make. To kick up the heat a little, try using a spicy tomatoes and green chilies. This is from WW's Simply the Best cookbook from 1997.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounces tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the rice, onion and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until the onion is softened and the rice is light browned, 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, oregano, and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken and peas; cook, covered, stirring as needed, until the peas are cooked and the chicken is heated through, 3-4 minutes. Fluff the mixture with a fork before serving.