Dan H's Note:
A delicious meatless main course or hearty appetizer. This is adapted from a recipe in Feast From the Mideast by Faye Levy, with a few minor changes. Her recipe includes parsley, which you may add at the last step, but I'm not a big parsley fan so I omit it. I recently discovered bulgur wheat and am looking for more ways to enjoy this delicious, easy-to-use grain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the lentils and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat, and cook covered for 20 minutes. Drain the liquid, then add water to make 2 cups and reserve.
- 2Meanwhile, saute the peppers in 1 tablespoon of the oil on medium heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 3Saute the onion in 2-3 tablespoons oil, on medium heat, for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4Add half of the onions to the lentils. Add the reserved liquid, salt to taste, and the bulgur wheat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- 5Remove cover, turn off the stove, and add the peppers and the remaining onions. Do not stir, allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- 6Add the black pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper, and green onion, and toss to mix spices and ingredients.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Armenian Bulgur Wheat and Lentils With Sweet Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.6
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 391.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.9 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 17.4 g