Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are so yummy. The cheese and bacon are a great compliment to the jalapeno flavor and reduce the heat of the peppers. This is my adaptation of an appetizer I had many years ago.
- 15 fresh jalapenos
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- thin sliced bacon
- Slice jalapenos in half and clean out seeds (be sure to get them all or they will be hot).
- Mix cheese, onion and garlic salt together and spoon into jalapeno halves.
- Wrap each with 1/2 strip of bacon.
- Place on cookie rack placed over a cookie sheet to catch the drippings.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.
- The thin bacon wraps easier.
- I just tuck the ends under the bottom.
- Amazingly, these are not hot if you get all the seeds out.
- There are never enough of them no matter how many I make because they are so popular.
We love these! We did 1/2 tsp garlic powder and we added 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. For the onion I used green onions. We started them to late and didn't have 45min so we baked them 10min at 350 and broiled them on both sides for till crispy. Flipping them over wasn't the prettiest but tasted fine. Next time I will bake longer maybe 20-30 and then broil just the tops to speed them up. I heard one suggestion to put them on a cookie cooling rack on a baking sheet and that would help them cook faster and the pan under would catch the grease. I plan to try that next time!
I used a container of cream cheese with onions and place it in a plastic baggie, snipped off the end and used this to stuff the peppers. The bacon I cut in half, wrapped around each pepper and placed it on a rack over a sheet pan. We baked them for probably 45 minutes until the bacon was extra crunchy. Divine!!
These are absolutely fantastic!Â I made 2 dozen and my DH and I and the next door neighbor ate them all in less than 1/2 hour!Â I will never pass by the fresh jalapenos at the store again!Â I pre-cooked the bacon, added a bit more onion and garlic, but otherwise followed directions.Â Easy and extremely tasty.Â Thanks for sharing this terrific recipe. Â (Update 10/30/08 I have lately been adding shredded cheddar, minced jalapeno and chopped cilantro to the cream cheese mixture. I then refrigerate the mixture for a day before stuffing the jalapenos, just to let the flavors blend. Even better! Thanks again!)