Recipe by Manami
These sophisticated sandwiches are enjopyable enough for children. Pair this with a crunchy salad for a pleasant contrast between hot and cold. The chicken can be marinated the night before and broiled the next day. marthastewart.com.
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 baguette, split horizontally then cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar, mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add chicken, and turn to coat.
- Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes (or cover and refrigerate in marinade up to 24 hours).
- Lift chicken from marinade, and place on prepared baking sheet; broil (without turning) until opaque throughout.
- Transfer chicken to a work surface; discard pan juices from baking sheet.
- Place baguette pieces on baking sheet, cut side up; dividing evenly, spread with apricot preserves, and layer with chicken, ham, and then cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes.