Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a yummy baked apple turnover recipe! It uses a frozen sheet of puff pastry, so you'll need to allow 40 minutes to thaw it before starting on the recipe. Prep and cook time does not include this.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the pastry into 6 equal squares. Place the cut dough on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper (for easy clean-up) and keep in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
- Toss the apples, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together in a bowl. Allow this to sit for 10 to 15 minutes so that the apples can juice a little.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and portion out the apples onto the dough squares. Place the apples so that they are in the center of one-half of each square on the diagonal.
- Make an egg wash by beatiing the egg and water together. Brush the sides lightly with the dough wash. Fold the dough over the apples and line up the corners to create triangles. Press to seal. Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until evenly golden.
These turned out pretty good. I just wish they had more filling. No fault of the recipe, as you can only fit about 2 apple slices on each square. I think I should have rolled the dough thin to fit in more apples.
Yummy!These are sooo good!I omitted the nutmeg,I'm just not too fond of it.But I love the taste of the cloves.I used golden delicious instead of grannys.I had a few apple pieces left over so I think 1 apple would suffice.I also added a glaze over the top of the pastries with some icing sugar,water and almond extract...delicious!
Great recipe! I love apple turnovers and this is an easy recipe. My only concern is that I couldn't get six even squares out of my puff pastry sheet. They were more like rectangles and thus, made it difficult to make triangles. In any case, I made rectangles and it all tasted the same. Next time though, I will also make four larger ones as I found that I had more filling left over. They taste great with a drizzle of cinnamon flavoured icing or just a regular glaze.