Recipe by breezermom
This is a yummy baked apple turnover recipe! It uses a frozen sheet of puff pastry, so you'll need to allow 40 minutes to thaw it before starting on the recipe. Prep and cook time does not include this.
Top Review by nmj
These turned out pretty good. I just wish they had more filling. No fault of the recipe, as you can only fit about 2 apple slices on each square. I think I should have rolled the dough thin to fit in more apples.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the pastry into 6 equal squares. Place the cut dough on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper (for easy clean-up) and keep in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
- Toss the apples, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together in a bowl. Allow this to sit for 10 to 15 minutes so that the apples can juice a little.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and portion out the apples onto the dough squares. Place the apples so that they are in the center of one-half of each square on the diagonal.
- Make an egg wash by beatiing the egg and water together. Brush the sides lightly with the dough wash. Fold the dough over the apples and line up the corners to create triangles. Press to seal. Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until evenly golden.