Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
In Swedish, it is "Äppelkaka med Vaniljsås." Serve tart warm or cold and serve the sauce separately. Whipped cream can be folded into the sauce, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
- Place the sliced apples in layers in a fire-proof dish and sprinkle each layer with sugar and grated lemon peel.
- Mix together the flour and sugar, rub in the butter, then spread over the apples.
- Bake the tart for 25 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with sugar, potato flour and light cream in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Heat the mixture, remove it from heat and stir in the vanilla sugar.
- Serve, and enjoy!
This turned out well. (I only made the sauce to serve over Smul Paj (Crumb Pie) as it was the only Swedish vanilla sauce I could find on Zaar) A note: Potato flour and cornflour are called potato starch and corn starch in North America. I used white sugar, tapioca starch which acts the same as cornflour/starch, as we are corn free, plain rice milk to replace the light cream to be dairy free, and I used a no alcohol vanilla instead of the vanilla sugar. I will try this whole recipe next time!