Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Came from a B&B in Drumhellar, Alberta.
- 3 apples, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 orange zest
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons kirsch or 2 tablespoons apricot brandy
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 slices French bread (1/2-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- Sauté apples in a small amount of butter and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of sugar. Cook till tender; set aside.
- In a shallow pan combine 2 Tbsp sugar, milk, eggs, juice, zest, salt and liqueur.
- Dip bread in this mixture, be careful not to over soak the bread. Transfer to a plate.
- Cover half the slices with the apples.
- Cover with remaining bread to make sandwiches.
- Heat butter and oil over med. heat and sauté the bread until golden. About 7 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with ginger sauce.
- Ginger sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil uncovered.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups. Stores up to 2 weeks in fridge.