Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from an old Farm Journal from the 70's. Hope you like it!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Base and crumb topping
- 1⁄2 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Crust: Mix flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Add cheese.
- Sprinkle water over mixture and work until you can shape dough into a ball.
- Roll pastry out into a 15 in circle on a floured surface.
- Place on baking sheet or pizza pan and turn up edges.
- Base/topping: Combine powdered creamer, sugars,flour, salt and spices.
- Sprinkle dough with half of this mixture.
- Topping: Cut butter into remaining sugar mixture.
- Arrange apple slices, overlapping them in circles on crust.
- Sprinkle with lemon and add crumb topping.
- Bake at 450 F for 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Serve warm.
OK everyone, you cannot imagine just how good this recipe is. I am so glad to have found this recipe again. Back when I was a young bride with minimal cooking skills, my MIL gifted me with 2 Farm Journal cookbooks and this was the first recipe I tried. It was wonderful and totally boosted my confidence in cooking. Don't miss this one since apples are coming on strong right now.
I have been making this "pie" since the early '80's. I bought the cookbook as a new bride and there many great recipes in it. I am not a fan of regular apple pie, go figure, but I love this one. It is easy to put together and really taste great hot or cold. (Not that we ever had any left over!)<br/>Tonight I decided to make it using puff pastry. It came out beautiful. To get the cheese effect I finely grated chedder cheese over the puff pastry. I also didn't have any powdered creamer so I just used powdered milk. Same great texture and taste. This is a must bake pie!!!
I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. I am glad I found it. I will make it for thanksgiving. My grandmother used to make it.