Recipe by gwenrk
Oh my gosh. This pie is sooo good. Apples and cheddar compliment each other very nicely here - what else can I say? Try this one instead of your old standby apple pie recipe.
Top Review by star4586
My mom gave me this recipe from a book she has. It's by FAR her favorite. I have made it twice. Beautiful pie, so flaky and delicious! I'm going to make it again today, trying to use a gluten free flour for a friend. Hope it works as well!!!
- 709.77 ml flour
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml dried mustard
- 0.25 ml salt
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter
- 78.07 ml shortening, chilled
- 177.44 ml sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 88.74-118.32 ml ice water
- 8 tart apples
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml grated lemon, zest of
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- For pastry: Combine flour, sugar, mustard and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender.
- Stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle in water, 2 tablespoons at a time, tossing with a fork until dough can be gathered in a ball.
- Knead, divide into slightly unequal halves, and chill 45 minutes.
- For filling: Cut apples into chunks.
- Toss with butter and remaining ingredients.
- Roll out smaller portion of dough and fit into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Fill with apples.
- Roll out remaining dough and fit on top.
- Sprinkle with topping, cut slits in top.
- Bake at 350°F degrees for 1 1/4 hours.