Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, Sifted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, Ground
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, Slightly Beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup tart apple (Apples are to be washed and cored. Shred the unpeeled apples for recipe)
- nut crunch topping
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until fine crumbs form.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring just enough to moisten.
- Stir in apples.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups, filling 2/3rds full.
- Sprinkle with nut crunch topping.
- Bake in 375 degree oven 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with butter and homemade jelly or jam.
- NUT CRUNCH TOPPING: Mix together 1/4 c brown sugar (packed), 1/4 c chopped pecans and 1/2 t ground cinnamon in small bowl.
This is a very tasty filling cupcake. The topping makes it nice and sweet. I chopped my apple into small pieces and came out great.
I cannot say enough about this recipe!!! I substituted coconut milk for the milk, I also added 1/2 tsp. more cinnamon! Because my apples were losing their tartness I added lemon juice to the grated apple, about 4 tbsp. I doubled the recipe and also added one more Eggs as my eggs seemed small for large... For the crunch I made an apple crisp crumble, 3/4 c. Margarine, 3/4 c. Brown sugar 3/4c. Unbleached flour, 1tsp. Baking powder, 1/4 tsp. Salt some finely grated pecans. Plenty of crumble for another double batch, the crumble keeps well in the fridge for a good month.
I really liked these. I made them as "cupcakes" much smaller and in the paper cups. I shredded a bit too much apple and just put it in anyway. They were very moist and great heated up just slightly.