Apple Crunch Muffins
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream (low-fat or non fat is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup tart apple, unpeeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (I love almonds too)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- FOR MUFFINS: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, allspice, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sour cream and butter together.
- Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, just until moistened (do not overmix).
- Fold in the diced apple into the batter.
- Fill greased or lined muffin cups one-third full.
- FOR TOPPING: In a bowl, combine the nuts, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle about two-thirds of the topping over the batter in the cups.
- Top with remaining batter and then sprinkle the remainder of the topping mix over each muffin.
- Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"<p>I'm one of the original members of RecipeZaar and an active member in the old forums. I loved meeting so many wonderful people from across the globe in what were truly amazing forums and during events on the site which encouraged interaction. I miss those forums and am saddened that this is now just another recipe collection site. I will always come back here as I have so many recipes saved of my own and tried many gems. I hope you are able to find something you like.</p>"
Join The Conversation
Wonderful muffins! They were definately a hit at my meeting this morning. I followed a previous reviewers advise, and doubled the topping, and think next time, I'd make 1.5 times the topping - that would be perfection! I also need to learn not to overfill my muffin tins - when I don't use muffin cups, I seem to always overfill them! They came out beautiful and big, and are so yummy with the spices, the fresh apple, and the crunchy topping! The sour cream definately adds to the moistness of these little babies! Thanks Hokies - great recipe! Made for 1-2-3 Hits.
Simply delicious! These muffins have a nice texture and balanced flavor. I was 1/4 c. short on the sour cream and was a little concerned about the fat content anyway, so I used 2 Tbls of the butter (salted) from the muffin part for the topping and added 1/3 cup applesauce in place of the missing butter and sour cream. I didn't have allspice so used extra nutmeg and a pinch of cloves; I'm always generous when adding cinnamon. I peeled my apples as I prefer them that way; my med apple gave me a little more than 1 cup, next time I would use a bigger apple. I prefer to add the apple to the dry ingredients as coating the fruit in flour will help prevent sinkage, this worked fine. I used almonds, for the nuts and look forward to trying walnuts. I wasn't over generous with the struesel for the middle or tops and ended up needing to make a little more or 4 muffins wouldn't have had any topping and this is with the recipe only making 12 muffins from a standard size muffin tin, next time I would probably double the topping. Thank you HokiesLady for this yummy muffin. Reviewed for 1,2 & 3 Hit Wonders