Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a great fall stew, with beef, apples, and potatoes. The addition of cloves and allspice give it a wonderful "Autumn" kick. Use the apples of your choice -- I prefer Granny Smith because they hold together well in a stew and add a little tartness. This can probably be adapted to crock pot by someone who is more experienced at crock pot cooking than I am.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced (I use Granny Smith)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and put in a plastic bag.
- Add stew meat and shake until well-coated.
- Brown the meat in the oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven. Pour off any fat.
- Stir in the cider, lemon juice, bay leaf, cloves and allspice and basil.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add vegetables and apple and cook another 20 minutes.