Apple Cider Beef Stew
photo by Sassy J
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 4 cups frozen vegetables, for stew thawed (about 24 oz)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 (8 ounce) envelopes brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple cider, or
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- Place the first four ingredients in a 5-qt slow cooker. In a large, resealable plastic bag, combine the gravy mix, soup mix, steak seasoning, and cinnamon; add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Add to slow cooker.
- Combine the broth, cider and tomato sauce; pour over beef. Add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This wasn't bad, not a favorite but definitely a comfort food! My cinnamon lid exploded so I got a bit more than I bargined for =) Other than that the corn starch seemed to break a bit after it was cooked and was a little grainy even though I followed mixing instructions. I thought it was thick enough before the starch. Thanks for posting!