Recipe by Potagekempcc
Granny Smith Apples, Apple Wine and Cognac infuse a warm Apple Flavor into the soup. These Savory Flavors make the Cabbage very tender.
- 2 Red Delicious apples (Fine Diced)
- 6 granny smith apples (Medium Diced)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup leek (Fine Diced)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 5 cups green cabbage (Sliced Thin)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon winter savory (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (Grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cognac (VSOP)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 liter riesling wine (Applewood White Wine)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple liqueur (Apple Pucker)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core, dice Red Delicious, Granny apples and place in lemon water.
- In a large soup pot melt butter. Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick , leeks, garlic, cabbage, ginger and diced Granny Smith apples. Add sea salt and white pepper. Saute about 4-5 minutes.
- Add VOSP Cognac and reduce liquid by half.
- Add Applewood White Wine or Riesling, vegetable stock and raw sugar. Bring soup to a full boil. Add winter savory and lemon thyme. Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Place a cover on soup pot. Add remaining Apple Pucker and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Adjust seasoning to taste with ground cinnamon.
- Garnish: Fine Diced Red Apples and serve in warm bowls.
- CHEF'S NOTE: Use Riesling Wine or any Apple Wine you want.