Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 apples, divided
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- prepared mustard
- Core and shred 2 apples; Combine with cabbage and onion in skillet.
- Saute apple mixture in margarine for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water and vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pierce sausages with fork and place over apple mixture.
- Cook covered 10 minutes or until cabbage is barely cooked and sausages are heated thoroughly.
- Core and wedge remaining apple.
- Add to skillet along with parsley.
- Cook covered for 1 minute.
- Serve with mustard.
This was really very good. My husband loved it. I used a spicy smoked sausage and stone ground mustard. It was very easy to prepare. Thanks for a great Tuesday night dinner.
Delicious! Good as leftovers, too.....I added one extra apple. UPDATE: I made this again tonight, and it was fantastic.....served it for dinner, and it was such a hit-everyone had seconds.
We liked it. I used chicken-apple sausage and apple cider vinegar and cut up the sausage, skipped the mustard since it didn't go with this type of sausage. The apples I "shredded" turned to mush though...use a firmer variety or just substitute with apple sauce, since the "mush" still tasted good mixed in with the cabbage! Thanks for something different for a nice easy worknight dinner!