Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A traditional Australian favourite biscuit/cookie. This version is low in butter and sugar but still great tasting. Hint: If you prefer your biscuits chewy, cook them for a little less time. Store the biscuits in an air-tight container.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 ounces butter, 70gm
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 150°/300°F
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine the oats, flour, coconut, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- Place the butter, water and golden/maple syrup in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until the butter mixture melts.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Pour the mixture into the flour and stir until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into small balls and place on the baking tray. Flatten the balls, making sure there is room for the biscuits to spread.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.