Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I got this recipe off of one of our local cooking shows. Its fast, easy and yummy! Since it was right after Easter and I had smoked ham left, I cubed it and added it before I cooked it. I also added 2 cups of easy melt shredded american cheese and YUM - O
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 32 ounces southern style hash browns or 32 ounces o'brien hash brown potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pint heavy cream or 1 pint half-and-half
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onion
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- saute onions and celery in butter until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Place celery and onions in a slow cooker. Add hashbrown potatoes, chicken broth and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. Add cream and continue to cook for another hour. If too thick, add a little milk or water. Garnish each soup bowl with chopped green onion, cheese and bacon.
Very tasty and very easy. I followed the directions except for cutting it in half and DH and I really enjoyed this for lunch. I served it wil a mixed green salad with Recipe#356874#356874 and the dressing. Thank you! Made for Spring PAC.
I loved the flavor and texture of the soup, and REALLY loved that I didn't need to peel potatoes! I cut some fat by using 2 tbsp of butter and fat free half and half. I melted the cheese right into the soup (I used maybe 1 - 1 1/2 cups). Nice and filling. Thanx for sharing!