Recipe by Aariq Skought
This recipe is adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. It is originally titled "Green Peas with Coconut and Cilantro" but that sounds booooring. I've yet to meet someone who dosen't like the amazing peas.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (the hindi word is heng)
- 1 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 15 fresh curry leaves (from an indian market--substitute with basil as a last resort)
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 -2 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (omit if the coconut is sweetened)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated coconut (substitute with frozen or soaked dried coconut)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- when hot, put in the aesofetida and then a second later the mustard and cumin seeds.
- when the mustard seeds start popping, toss in the curry leaves.
- stir for a good second or two and put in the peas, chiles, salt, sugar, and all the ground spices.
- stir for a minute until the peas are fully defrosted.
- add 4 tbsp water and bring to a boil.
- cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 5 minutes or until peas are tender.
- uncover and turn the heat back up to medium-high, add the shredded coconut and cilantro and cook off excess liquid.