Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This makes 3 loaves....one for now and two in the freezer for later! :)
- 8 eggs, separated
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup Amaretto
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 cup sugar gradually and beat until it holds stiff peaks.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter with remaining sugar.
- Add egg yolks,one at a time,beating well after each addition.
- Add flour in thirds,alternating with Amaretto.
- Mix well.
- Stir in vanilla and nuts.
- Fold in egg whites gently.
- Pour batter into 3 well greased 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until done.
I have been making this for years. It is my absolute favorite quick bread. I make it in mini loaf pans and give it as Christmas gifts.