Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is quite similar to the creamed spinach at Boston Market, well so I'm told anyway! --- this is a great side dish, even people that hate spinach love this, it's great to serve along side a holiday turkey or a ham dinner, or at any meal --- I also like to saute about 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper in the butter for about 2 minutes before adding in the flour but that is optional, add in some grated Parmesan cheese too if desired, this complete recipe can be doubled :)
Top Review by Marmish
This was a fast, simple, pretty side dish. I used cream instead of 1/2 and 1/2 and omitted the sour cream because I didn't have any. I considered subbing yogurt, but it was delicious as it was. Some might prefer the tangy sour cream to cut the richness. The sauce seemed too thick at first, but when the spinach was added, it thinned slightly and was the perfect consistency. I will make this again, soon!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (lowfat is okay)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -4 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 20 ounces frozen spinach, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat until sizzling.
- If you are adding in the fresh garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper then saute in butter for about 2 minutes but do not brown the garlic.
- Whisk in the flour and 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (or white salt) until creamed together and smooth.
- Stir in the half and half, or milk (if using) a little at a time.
- Increase heat to medium and constantly whisk until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp butter in saucepan over med heat; add the 2 tbsp minced onion, and cook until transparent.
- Add spinach and water to pan, lower the heat, and cover.
- Stirring several times until the spinach is cooked.
- When the spinach is almost done, add the prepared white sauce, sour cream and Parmesan cheese (if using).
- Stir well, and simmer until completely blended.
- Season with more seasoned salt or white salt if desired and black pepper.