This is quite similar to the creamed spinach at Boston Market, well so I'm told anyway! --- this is a great side dish, even people that hate spinach love this, it's great to serve along side a holiday turkey or a ham dinner, or at any meal --- I also like to saute about 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper in the butter for about 2 minutes before adding in the flour but that is optional, add in some grated Parmesan cheese too if desired, this complete recipe can be doubled :)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (lowfat is okay)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -4 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 20 ounces frozen spinach, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat until sizzling.
- If you are adding in the fresh garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper then saute in butter for about 2 minutes but do not brown the garlic.
- Whisk in the flour and 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (or white salt) until creamed together and smooth.
- Stir in the half and half, or milk (if using) a little at a time.
- Increase heat to medium and constantly whisk until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp butter in saucepan over med heat; add the 2 tbsp minced onion, and cook until transparent.
- Add spinach and water to pan, lower the heat, and cover.
- Stirring several times until the spinach is cooked.
- When the spinach is almost done, add the prepared white sauce, sour cream and Parmesan cheese (if using).
- Stir well, and simmer until completely blended.
- Season with more seasoned salt or white salt if desired and black pepper.