1 hr 10 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Every Night Italian, posted for ZWT IV.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place raisins in a small bowl with the rum and allow to soak.
- 2Remove the crusts from the bread. Determine how much bread you will need by lining the sides bottom and top of a 8 or 9 inch loaf pan and use all the butter to coat both sides of the slices of bread.
- 3Line the sides and bottom with the buttered bread slices and set aside the slices that will go on top.
- 4Pour the milk into a small saucepan and heat it over low heat till you see steam rising when it is stirred - do not boil.
- 5While the milk is heating (keep an eye on it!), put the eggs and 4 T of sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Beat at high speed till the mixture is pale yellow and forms ribbons on the beaters when lifted (about 2-3 minutes).
- 6With the mixer at low speed, slowly add the hot milk. When about half of the milk has been incorporated, you can add the rest more quickly.
- 7Place the almonds and remaining 3 T sugar in a food processor and pulse until the reach the consistency of coarsely ground black pepper. Mix the almond mixture into the custard.
- 8Pour the custard into the bread lined loaf pan, holding back about 1/2 cup.
- 9If the loaf pan fills to the top and you have more than 1/2 cup custard left, it is probably because it is too foamy. Let it stand a bit till it settles.
- 10Take the raisins that have been soaking in the rum and distribute them over the custard in the loaf pan. Save the rum that is left over.
- 11Preheat the oven to 325.
- 12Cover the top of the filled loaf pan with the remaining buttered bread slices and pour the rest of the custard over the layer of bread.
- 13Let stand for about 15 minutes so that the bread becomes well soaked.
- 14Place the bread pudding on the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake till it looks firm with the pan is jiggled, about 40 minutes.
- 15Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 16Once the pudding is cool enough to handle, flip it over onto a flat serving platter. The pudding should unmold easily so that you can remove the loaf pan.
- 17Serve either chilled or at room temperature.
- 18Cut into 1/2 inch slices and sprinkle each serving with a few drops of the left over rum used to soak the raisins.
- 19This can be made up to 5 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.4
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 384.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 10.5 g