Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from Colette Martin's "Learning to Bake Allergen Free" - I tried both "regular" and "doughnut hole" types and I found the smaller ones were better overall. The finished nuggets can be rolled in cinnamon sugar or glazed with your favourite mixture - you can even try filling them with jam or Nutella!
- 1⁄2 cup non-dairy milk substitute (like Coconut Dream, not coconut milk)
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (mine is a pre-bought mix of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, )
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄4 cup sorghum flour
- 3⁄4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons maca, powder toasted
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground chia seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon guar gum
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease mini muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, beat together the coconut beverage, brown sugar, applesauce or banana, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the flours, tapioca starch, maca, ground chia, nutmeg, guar gum, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Mix until a sturdy batter-dough forms - about 5 minutes.
- Form into balls and place in the mini muffin tins.
- Bake 15 minutes. Cool in the tin 3 minutes then unmould.
- If tossing with cinnamon sugar, dip warm doughnut holes in melted coconut oil and immediately roll in the sugar.
- If filling or glazing, allow doughnut holes to cool completely.