Recipe by Summatiger
Mouth-watering spices make this chicken stew a perfect hearty dish for cold weather.
Top Review by gerrymouse12
Hey I'm sorry, I've been making this lovely meal for a while now & haven't said thanks or given it a rating. This is really good & not difficult to make & as I keep a good store cupboard (just in case)everything was to hand. Only adjustments were, no celery (personal yuk) & I just threw in a tin of tomatoes which was o.k. Recommended with thanks.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 lbs boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 sweet potatoes or 1 yam, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, doesn't matter)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil on med-high. When hot, add the onions and sweet potatoes, stir and cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add chicken, cook til opaque.
- Stir in the garlic, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and crushed red chiles. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, celery, ginger, cinnamon, bay leaf, salt, chicken broth, and tomato paste.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- When the stew has cooked for 45 minutes, stir in the peanut butter. Cook another 3 minutes, uncovered for the flavors to blend.
- Stir in the chopped tomato and bell pepper. Simmer until the tomatoes and pepper are softened but still retain their shape, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. Serve with the chopped cilantro on the top, and additional red pepper flakes on the side, if desired.
- I like to serve this stew over hearty brown rice. Healthy and delicious!