1/1 Photo of Abruzzi Shrimp Pasta Sauce
From my mother who is from a little town in Italy near Rome. Must use fresh herbs! Do not saute garlic in oil- it will not taste the same. Garlic, parsley tomatoes oil need to cook slowly together! The idea of the whole cloves is that you don't have to eat them if you don't want to! I just leave them. And remember to cook this recipe SLowly. Lobster or crabs may be substituted for shrimp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs medium shrimp
- 1 1/2 lbs pasta (linguine, or any thin spaghetti you may have on hand)
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 whole garlic cloves
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (enough to fill blender 2 times) or 2 (28 ounce) cans fresh plum tomatoes (enough to fill blender 2 times)
- 1 cup of chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley (can also substitute with fresh basil if you like)
- 1If you plan on using fresh tomatoes, simply wash, take stem area off, and place in blender to puree.
- 2Place tomatoes, olive oil, whole cloves of garlic, parsley in large pot and cook slowly for 30 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 3If using fresh tomatoes, it will need extra cooking time of 15 minutes. Garlic cloves should be very soft and sauce should have nice consistency- not watery.
- 4During last 15 minutes add the shrimp.
- 5Season to taste with salt and some red pepper flakes if you like.
- 6Place water to boil in another large pot.
- 7when boiling add a tablespoon of oil(prevents pasta from sticking).
- 8Place pasta in boiling water & stir, stir often.
- 9Put timer on for exactly 11 minutes.
- 10Drain pasta, place in large platter & mix together with sauce. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Abruzzi Shrimp Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (562 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1301.5
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 345.6 mg
- Sodium 1221.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 159.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 73.2 g