From my mother who is from a little town in Italy near Rome. Must use fresh herbs! Do not saute garlic in oil- it will not taste the same. Garlic, parsley tomatoes oil need to cook slowly together! The idea of the whole cloves is that you don't have to eat them if you don't want to! I just leave them. And remember to cook this recipe SLowly. Lobster or crabs may be substituted for shrimp.
- 2 lbs medium shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pasta (linguine, or any thin spaghetti you may have on hand)
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 whole garlic cloves
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (enough to fill blender 2 times) or 2 (28 ounce) cansfresh plum tomatoes (enough to fill blender 2 times)
- 1 cup of chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley (can also substitute with fresh basil if you like)
- If you plan on using fresh tomatoes, simply wash, take stem area off, and place in blender to puree.
- Place tomatoes, olive oil, whole cloves of garlic, parsley in large pot and cook slowly for 30 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- If using fresh tomatoes, it will need extra cooking time of 15 minutes. Garlic cloves should be very soft and sauce should have nice consistency- not watery.
- During last 15 minutes add the shrimp.
- Season to taste with salt and some red pepper flakes if you like.
- Place water to boil in another large pot.
- when boiling add a tablespoon of oil(prevents pasta from sticking).
- Place pasta in boiling water & stir, stir often.
- Put timer on for exactly 11 minutes.
- Drain pasta, place in large platter & mix together with sauce. Enjoy!