Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter (not spread or tub product) or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon flavoring
- 3⁄4 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage (7Up preferred)
- Preheat oven to 300F and grease/flour a tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each one.
- Add flour alternating with 7-Up; stir in lemon flavoring.
- Bake in prepared pan until cake tests done, approximately an hour.
I found out that 3 cups of sugar is too sweet for me , 2 is better .
This is the best 7 up cake. It is not your typical 7 up cake it is very moist. I do make the following additions tothis recipe. I add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and I only use 1 cup of butter and a half of cup of butter flavored crisco. Also you want to remove this cake from the oven asap because it will stick to the pan if you don't.
This recipe was great. I tweeked it a little by substituting the 1 tablesppon of lemon flavor with 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 1 teaspoon of almond and a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. EXCELLENT!