Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
I found this recipe on a blogger called "Not Quite Nigella". It was so easy and fast, hits the spot fast! I've sometimes altered the recipe by taking away the cocoa powder, and making it a coffee cake, or taking coffee away too and added lemon juice and zest instead and it would turn into a lemon cake!
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (I used 1/2 tsp and it turned out fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Next, add in the milk, oil, vanilla extract, egg and mix well.
- Pour mixture into mugs (at the halfway mark).
- Microwave one mug at a time. Cook for 1 minute on medium heat. It will bubble and rise as it cooks, so make sure you provide ample room for that. Leave it for a few seconds, then microwave for another 30 seconds on medium again. The mixture will solidify, but still look a little molten. That is fine because it will continue cooking on residual heat. (Great tip, Lorraine!) Overcook it and you get a chocolate rubber ball.
- Allow to cool a little and start digging inches Of course, nothing is stopping you from embellishing your cake and eating it too!