There are a lot of bean salad recipes out there, but this one is far and away the best I've ever come across. Try to find Vidalia onions, but any sweet onion will do.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite navy beans
- 2 (7 ounce) jars roasted sweet peppers (drained and chopped)
- 1 -2 cup sweet onion (sliced paper-thin)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Salad Dressing: In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Process in food processor until smooth. Makes 2/3 cup.
- Salad: Drain beans in colander. Place in large bowl with peppers. Add 1/2 cup of prepared salad dressing and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Reserve and refrigerate remaining salad dressing.
- Onion Garnish: In another bowl, toss the onion with the vinegar sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- At serving time, adjust seasoning on beans. Add remaining salad dressing, if desired.
- Garnish with sliced onion mixture.