Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are a lot of bean salad recipes out there, but this one is far and away the best I've ever come across. Try to find Vidalia onions, but any sweet onion will do.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite navy beans
- 2 (7 ounce) jars roasted sweet peppers (drained and chopped)
- 1 -2 cup sweet onion (sliced paper-thin)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Salad Dressing: In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Process in food processor until smooth. Makes 2/3 cup.
- Salad: Drain beans in colander. Place in large bowl with peppers. Add 1/2 cup of prepared salad dressing and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Reserve and refrigerate remaining salad dressing.
- Onion Garnish: In another bowl, toss the onion with the vinegar sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- At serving time, adjust seasoning on beans. Add remaining salad dressing, if desired.
- Garnish with sliced onion mixture.
This was very good, I made it for my DHs birthday party, and it went down very well, colourful and just that bit different. I made it the day before, as recommended, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It was quickly made, and certainly looked as if I had gone to more effort than I had! Thank you, Pokey, for a great recipe :-)
Oh the comfort of creamy beans with the brightness of fresh cilantro, basil and thyme. I did use vadalia. Just love them. I used a blender to make the dressing. I made as directed but then layered them into a jar for a nice presentation. Thanks!;)
Thanks for the recipe, it's a nice change from the regular distilled vinegar version. The only change I made was adding a little salt to the dressing, it tasted kind of bitter without it...other than that this was great, I'll definitely make it again.