Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
If you're looking for a good tasting, not all that fancy but fancy enough to serve company or take to a potluck this is the recipe. This recipe must be refrigerated overnight and do not use any other brand of mayonnaise except Hellman's. Skipping these two steps does make a difference. Make sure ingredients are sealed in good with the mayonnaise.
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen peas, keep frozen
- parmesan cheese, grated in can
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin
- 2 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise, must use Hellman's
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- 6 ounces water chestnuts, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb bacon, fried and crumbled (not bacon bits)
- Shred lettuce, put in a 9x13 inches pan. On top of this sprinkle onions, celery and chestnuts in layers.
- Break frozen peas and sprinkle on top.
- Spread mayonnaise over top like a frosting to the edge of dish, sealing in ingredients.
- Spread on sugar and grated cheese to cover top.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Before serving top with bacon and decorated with egg slices and tomatoes wedges.
I have made the salad for years. I add 3 bean salad, marinated artichokes, mushrooms, tiny bits of whatever cheese I have, tiny shrimp and anything else I that is great in a salad. To make it an entre salad I add diced chicken, ham or beef. It is wonderful !
Yum! I couldn't wait 24 hours, made in the morning, eaten in the evening. I used radishes instead of water chestnuts(I'm sure the water chestnuts would be even better) and used veggie bacon. Great salad. Thanks!