24 Hour Fruit Salad
This is a wonderful salad that is easily adaptable, and can be served as a salad with a holiday meal or as a dessert. The original recipe called for canned fruit cocktail, but I have modified it from that. I'm also allergic to pineapple, so I either pick it out or substitute more of the other fruits instead. All the fruits are really to taste. I could eat myself sick on this stuff, it is so good.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained DRY (very important)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained DRY
- 1 cup green grape, halved
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry
- 1⁄2 cup marshmallows
- The canned fruit needs to be completely dry, so recommend starting this 2 days in advance - draining the fruit overnight on the first day.
- On the day before you need the salad, whip the cream. You can sweeten it with a bit of sugar if desired, but it's not needed.
- Mix the pudding mix and milk together until thick.
- Fold the whipped cream and pudding together.
- Fold the fruits and marshmallows into the cream and pudding mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I was looking for a recipe that a friend gave my mom long ago, for butterfly fruit salad. You actually had to make a custard, and some other ingredients were very hard to find. I tried this, and my fruit salad loving family loved it! I've made it several times, with a variety of fresh and canned fruits, and it's always wonderful!
I made this for thanksgiving dinner. I've been craving my grandmother's fruit salad. The first time since she passed. This came very close to it, but with a little adding of fruit on my part, it came as close it as possible. I think it would have been it, if grandma had been the one to make it. ;) Instead of adding red grapes ( I didn't have any) I added apples, and bananas. It went over great at my in-laws, and even my two older picky eaters loved it. Even got a couple of neighbor kids to eat some the day after. So I will make again.