World's Best Potato Salad
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Place the potatoes into a large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes, or until easily pierced with fork.
- Drain, cool, peel and dice. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the onion, celery, a teaspoon of salt, and hard-cooked eggs.
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together 2 eggs, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
- Stir in the vinegar, milk, and mustard. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Refrigerate until cool, then stir in the mayonnaise.
- Stir the dressing into the bowl of potato salad gently until evenly coated. Chill several hours or overnight before serving for best flavor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes, and this is a wonderful site to find new additions. I rarely make the same thing twice because it's so much fun to try something different. My life long dream is to travel the world and eat my way around it.