Wine Braised Chuck Roast With Onions
- Ready In:
- 21hrs 30mins
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs onions, sliced thinly
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- Pre Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pat roast dry and rub all over with 1 1/2 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof 5 quart Dutch Oven or heavy pot over high heat until hot but not smoking and brown roast on all sides.
- Remove roast to a plate and set aside.
- Add onions to the pot and saute over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until pale golden.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and water and bring to boil.
- Return beef to the pot, cover tightly, and place in oven. Turn beef over after 1 hours of cooking and then cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours Total cook time 2 1/2 to 3 hours until beef is very tender.
- Let beef stand, uncovered, in onion sauce 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve meat with onion gravy, accompanied by egg noodles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A keeper! I made it just as written; it was delicious, tender and not dry, which is sometimes a problem with pot roast. I might just shred the leftovers and serve on buns. Seems like it would be a tasty sandwich, much better than the Italian-type sandwich beef. Montana-GemBob, thanks for posting this winner....~~~Janet
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a displaced Southern boy living in Montana. I love it here though. I've been here for 30 years, so I must. I like to fish, camp and I love to garden. I like to fool around in the kitchen and see what I can dream up sometimes. It's just me and the missus now and I do most of the cooking. I leave Holidays to her though since she laid dibs on those.<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="photobucket">