White Beans With Roasted Tomatoes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Gourmet 7/04. I'd use canned beans when making this to save time.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb dried cannellini beans, picked over and rinsed (2 cups)
- 1 lb cipolline onion (left unpeeled)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs large tomatoes, cored and halved crosswise
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes (preferably mixed colors, 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup torn fresh basil leaf
- Cook beans: Cover beans with cold water by 2 inches in a bowl and soak at room temperature at least 8 hours or quick-soak. Drain well in a colander.
- Blanch onions in boiling salted water , 1 minute, then drain and peel.
- Cover beans with cold water by about 1 inch in a 5- to 6-quart pot and bring to a boil. Add onions and simmer, partially covered, skimming froth as necessary, until beans and onions are tender, 40 minutes to 1 hour. Stir in salt and let stand (in cooking liquid), uncovered.
- Roast tomatoes while beans are cooking: Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 500°F
- Toss tomato halves and cherry tomatoes with salt, sugar, and oil in a shallow 3-quart baking dish, then arrange tomato halves cut sides up.
- Roast tomatoes, uncovered, until large tomatoes are very tender with brown patches and cherry tomatoes are falling apart, 35 to 50 minutes.
- Assemble dish: Transfer warm beans and onions with a slotted spoon to a deep large platter. Arrange tomatoes decoratively on top of beans and pour tomato juices on top. Sprinkle with basil leaves.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION