Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos (Or Tacos or Taco-Burgers)
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs ground beef (80 or 90% fat free)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 8 8 taco shells or 8 hamburger buns
- shredded cheddar cheese or colby cheese
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- chopped onion
- In large skillet, brown ground beef over medium to medium-high heat. Drain off fat.
- Add in all spices. Stir in water, cooking over medium heat until water cooks off. (Water helps ensure even distribution of spices throughout meat).
- Stir in refried beans and green chilies. Heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Burritos: Warm flour tortillas in microwave or in oven. Spread meat and bean mixture on each flour tortilla. Garnish with preferred toppings. Enjoy.
- Tacos: Toast taco shells in oven according to package directions. (Note: toasting the taco shells is a MUST). Spoon meat and bean mixture into each taco shell. Garnish with preferred toppings.
- Taco-burgers: Toast hamburger buns in oven until light golden brown. Spread meat and bean mixture onto bottom half of buns. If making taco-burgers, you may want to substitute sliced cheese (such as American). Garnish with preferred toppings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made the Taco Burgers with this - halved everything for the two of us and used jalapeno refried beans, so left out the cayenne and green chilis (hubby sweats with anything spicier than catsup). Used 1/4 cup water, tho. Topped our burgers with fresh tomato and red onion slices and American cheese. He and I both thought they were great. Thanks for sharing.
We loved the flavors! I did cut this down to serve 2 and really got 4 servings. I used the 10 inch tortillas. I decided to bake these in a 450° oven for 20 minutes. I sprayed Pam on the pan and on top of the tortillas. They come out nice and crispy. Love the re-fried beans in this. Served them with a side of mexi fries for a yummy dinner. Thanks for posting. :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking for family and friends. I especially enjoy baking...it is like combining art and science to create something extraordinary. I am most known for making desserts like Recipe #336060. My pet peeve: when people sign-up to bring dessert to a pot-luck or dinner party and they bring something pre-made from the store. My friends and family now know to always let me bring the dessert. :) I enjoy traveling and believe that one of the best ways to experience a culture is through food. I have lived in Germany, Spain and Switzerland, and currently live in the US. My rating system: 5 stars - Excellent! Delicious! Could not be better...will make often. 4 stars - Very good! May tweak slightly. 3 stars - Good base recipe. Will need to tweak. 2 stars - Ok. Will keep looking. Cooking Contests & Games: <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/ST_AMBADGE.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">