Wasabi Mashed Potatoes
photo by yogiclarebear
- Ready In:
- Peel potatoes and cut into approximately 2-inch chunks.
- Place in pot with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small bowl combine the wasabl powder and the water to make a paste and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and immediately return them to the same pot.
- While the potatoes are still hot add the butter and mash until completely smooth.
- Add the cream and mash again until well combined and creamy.
- Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the wasabi paste and mash once more, until well combined.
- As mentioned above, these may be potent for some, so you may want to add the wasabi a little at a time, tasting as you go (It's perfect for me with the full amount).
- If you want creamier potatoes, add more cream by the teaspoon until desired consistency.
- Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
we liked these, but not the texture. i think it was just a mental disconnect between something being called "mashed potatoes" and the result not being smooth and creamy. flavor-wise, i thought they were spot on. (which is why i did not want to add more cream and/or butter - would've had to adjust the wasabi as well and didn't have time to bloom more. [i use the powder and you need to mix it with water and let it sit awhile.]) i used smooth skinned yellow flesh potatoes so they were still good, just not mashed potatoes. next time i think i'll try russets and do a twice baked style. (bake the potatoes, split them, remove and mash the innards and then return to the shell.) i will still add a bit more cream/butter/wasabi, but i think it will work out better because your brain will have a better idea texture-wise of what you're about to eat. we had these alongside miso marinated black cod (recipe on serious eats) and a spicy sesame cucumber salad: https://www.instagram.com/p/BL2Prubj2uz/