Vegetable Two-Grain Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 (18 7/8 ounce) can ready-to-serve lentil soup (vegetarian)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup small fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄3 cup bulgur
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients; stir in the water.
- Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until the barley and bulgur are tender, stirring twice.
- Stir again; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I liked this recipe very much...it was healthy, easy comfort food. The next time I make it, I may sautee the mushrooms before adding to the casserole (for some reason, they still seemed a bit raw-ish). Apart from that, I wouldn't change anything. I bet it would work well with grain substitutions, though (maybe quinoa?). Thanks for sharing...this recipe was enjoyable, and helped me clean out some things that had been languishing in my pantry, too.Reply
Loved this. I didn't expect much from this since the ingredients really aren't too exciting, but it was so good. I do not use bulgur so I substituted some brown rice. I also added some hot sauce. I disagree with the first poster on one thing - I don't think the leftovers heat well at all. But maybe that is because of the rice I used? Great comfort food. Thank you!Reply