Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
This recipe came about after a failed casserole recipe turned into an amazing soup! Who says failure is a bad thing? You could even make this vegetarian/vegan by changing the meat to a veg friendly option and using a veg broth. Hope you enjoy this too!
- Ready In:
- 1 medium cabbage (shredded and bagged cabbage or coleslaw mix works great and saves this step)
- 16 ounces ground turkey (TVP, veggie crumbles etc.) or 16 ounces lean ground beef (TVP, veggie crumbles etc.)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like)
- 1 eggs, beaten or 1 egg substitute
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 8 ounces chicken broth or 8 ounces vegetarian chicken broth
- 12 ounces vegetable juice, like V8 (we like to use the hot & spicy here)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more if you like) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (veg friendly can be used)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh ground is best
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup rice, raw
- Saute onion and garlic in a large skillet for about a minute. Add meat and cook, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink. Drain well and return to pan.
- Meanwhile, remove tough outer leaves from cabbage & remove core. Shred cabbage if not using a bag of shredded cabbage.
- Add cabbage into pan and saute with the meat just until the cabbage begins to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until rice is done. You can keep this on low for a long time if you like or even toss everything into a crock pot and keep on low.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Remember- whoever finds the bay leaf is the lucky one! Just do not eat it!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I really needed to have some cabbage rolls but was way too lazy to do all that rolling. This soup was perfect and tastes just like the stuffed rolls, except all chopped up. If you want it as a 'soupy' soup you might want to add a bit more broth, or water....or, if you like your cabbage rolls with mashed potatoes, leave the soup thick and just spoon it over the spuds. It's great! Thanks so much for posting your mishap for the rest of us to enjoy! I'll be sure to make this again :)
Loved it. I used the coleslaw mix, added 2 chopped carrots, 3 chopped celery ribs, 46 oz of V8, and paprika. This was absolutely wonderful and pretty quick. Being pregnant, I was craving stuffed cabbage for two days but didn't feel like assembling cabbage rolls on a weeknight. Thank you for posting.