Ultimate Sugar Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup or 1/4 cup regular pancake maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour, plus
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Decorations your choice
- granulated sugar
- colored sugar crystals
- frosting, candies
- cake decorating gel
- Heat oven to 375.
- Place sheets of foil on countertop for cooling cookies. Combine sugar and butter flavor crisco in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add eggs, syrup, and vanilla. Beat until well blended and fluffy.
- Combine 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until well blended. Divide dough into 4 quarters.
- TIP: If dough is too sticky or too soft to roll: Wrap each quarter of dough with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Spread 1 T of flour onto large sheet of waxed paper. Place one-fourth of dough on floured paper. Flatten slightly with hands.
- Turn dough over and cover with another large sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out with floured cutter. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet. Place 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar or colored sugar crystals, or leave plain to frost when cooled.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar or colored sugar crystals, or leave plain to frost when cooled.Bake one baking sheet at a time at 375 for 5-9 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies[bake smaller, thinner cookies closer to 5 minutes; larger cookies closer to 9 minutes].
- Do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to foil to cool completely, then frost if desired.
Join The Conversation