Ukrainian Bukovinian Nachynka (Cornbread Dressing)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A tasty cornbread dressing. Served many times for weddings.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, if desired
- 3 1⁄2 cups scalded milk
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 -3 eggs, well beaten
- Cook the onion in the butter until it is tender but not brown.
- Add the corn meal along with the salt, sugar, pepper, and cinnamon, and mix them to coat the cereal thoroughly with the butter.
- Pour in the scalded milk gradually and stir briskly until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- Cook until it thickens.
- Remove it from the range and blend in the cream.
- Beat the eggs well and fold into the cereal.
- Spoon into a 2-quart buttered casserole.
- Bake the nachynka uncovered in a moderate oven (350 degrees F) for 1 hour.
- It should have a crisp golden brown crust all around.
- Serves 6 to 8.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION