photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (12 oz.)
- In a skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add the next seven ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, parsley, cottage cheese, ricotta and parmesan.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Layer with 3 noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups of cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup of mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups of meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Questions & Replies
I put half and half ricotta and cottage cheese mixed together with Parmesan , Parsley and a sprinkle of ground black pepper. I also add my Provolone slices on top of my cheese mix. Then I add i layer of Panko bread crumbs on top. It has a yummy crunchy top! try It next time. I add it to all my Lasagna dishes no m,atter the fillings.
Fantastic Carrie Ann!! This was my very first (homemade, not from a bottle of spaghetti sauce) lasagna and it was just super!! I looked at and read atleast 50 other lasagna recipes and picked this one, thanks goodness because it really was super. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfect. A little time consuming but not difficult at all. My Mother-in-law mumbled "this is better than mine". Thanks!!