Tortilla Soup (Sopa De Tortilla)
A classic Mexican soup, and sooo yummy!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4 inch strips (stale are fine)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 dried chilies, preferably pasilla, stemmed, seeded, and sliced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, roasted (or blanched and peeled or just canned tomatoes)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup cubed mexican cheese, such as queso fresco, blanco, ranchero or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over med/high heat for a couple minutes.
- Begin frying the tortilla strips in batches until golden brown and crisp, turning after a minute or two, about 2-4 minutes in total.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the oil and turn the heat to meduim.
- Add the garlic and onion, and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chiles, tomatoes and half the tortilla strips and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, them simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, and then using an immersion blender, or an upright blender, puree the mixture until smooth.
- Return mixture to the stove over medium heat, stir in the chicken and heat through.
- Season with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the cilantro, cheese, avocado, and the remaining tortilla strips, enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I often order tortilla soup when we go out to eat so when I saw this recipe I just knew I had to try it. It was easy to prepare and tastes great. I do not have an immersion blender so I just threw the soup in two batches into my blender and that worked out just fine. I used 16 oz. canned tomatoes and to bring the heat down to a level that we can tolerate I used canned green chilies. Thanks so much for a great recipe!1Reply