Tomatoes and Dumplings
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- Combine the tomatoes with juice, butter, sugar and seasonings in a large flat-bottomed kettle.
- Heat the tomatoes over medium heat until boiling gently.
- Combine the dumpling ingredients together and drop dough by teaspoon, in a single layer, on top of tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat to low (the tomatoes on the bottom may scorch if heat is too high).
- Cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Remove the lid and serve.
- Garnish with black pepper and extra pats of butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So, so very good! I added a bayleaf with the tomatoes and some other spices - oregano, red pepper and garlic powder - otherwise followed the directions to the "t" and it was fabulous! PS: - added shredded chicken breast to the sauce the second time around cuz the DH is soooo NOT a vegetarian - scrumptious! We fried the breast first - then added to the sauce.
This is way way better than I thought it would be. It's a wonderful vegetarian entree. I added garlic powder and basil to the tomatoes and I used canned diced tomatoes. I used Jiffy baking mix and omitted the egg from the dumplings. It was scrumptious! The uncovered-then-covered method for cooking the dumplings worked beautifully and resulted in wonderful fluffy dumplings...not a sinker in the bunch. Don't skip the garnish of more butter and a bit of black pepper - it really makes the dish taste great. I will definately make this one again.