The Polish Church Pound Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, and
- 1 cup margarine
- 3 cups flour
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk, and
- 3 ounces water (enough water to total 1 cup with the milk)
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons flavoring (of your choice)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (not too fine)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- Cream Crisco, margarine, sugar and salt.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat.
- Add flour and milk alternately, ending with flour.
- Add flavoring. Add nuts. Add cherries cut in half.
- Bake in greased and floured tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes (or longer) at 300 oven.
- START IN COLD OVEN. DO NOT OPEN DOOR WHILE BAKING.
- Remove from pan immediately. Do not ice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a fantastic cake! There was a bakery in my neighborhood, when I was growing-up, that used to make this as a large cake, and sold it by the slab/slice. I have to make this every year at Christmas for my Polish boyfriend who will devour it. I use butter/nut flavoring in this recipe, otherwise, I follow the recipe exactly as written. I like to use green maraschino cherries as well as the red ones, if I can find them. Also, I just break the walnuts - don't chop 'em too fine. Absolutely no icing is needed. The cake forms a lovely "crust."