The One Spinach Appetizer Puff
photo by TasteTester
- Ready In:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained very well
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Break egg into a bowl and beat with a whisk for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
- Let batter sit while greasing a mini-muffin pan and preheating oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon batter into the mini-muffin pan to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- TIP: There will be leftover batter after filling the 24 - mini muffin pan. If you don't have a second pan, and you don't want to wait for the first batch to finish, use small foil tart cups for the last few, they may take a bit longer to cook. However, since these will disappear quickly, and they can be frozen, it is much easier to just double the recipe and just make 2 1/2 - 3 pans.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tasty little spinach appetizers! I couldnt find grated asiago cheese so I used a parmesan blend that had the asiago in it. Added some fresh ground black pepper and a touch of lemon pepper. Froze the leftovers in a freezer bag and will reheat them in the oven when I make a big breakfast for the family. Made and reviewed for the Let's P-A-R-T-Y! December Cooking Event
These were really good! I took your advice and froze the leftovers and tried them reheated in the toaster oven. I am glad I did! Yesterday I hadn't liked these as well. The flavor was good, but they seemed a little rubbery. But reheating them in the toaster over left them delicious and crisp. Thanks for posting! ~Sue
I made these as a snack for the family the other night. We love the combinations of flavor, but I think I squeezed the spinach way too dry, because the puffs weren't as moist as I'd like, so when I make them again I'll make sure the batter has a little more liquid in it. I also froze some and they came out wonderful after reheating. Thanks for posting this great recipe.
I loved it! I did cut down on the garlic powder, only 1/4 tsp and added 1/4 onion powder, a personal preference and added 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. I had a very large egg and so added 1/2 tsp more baking powder and a little more cheese and flour. I made 34 mini puffs. Delicious! Thanks for posting. My pkg of frozen spinach was 10 ozs. so I used it all instead of a 8 oz. cup. I will definitely make again. This is a great teenager snack!