Szechuan Stir-Fried Beef
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Slice steak into thin slices, cutting across grain.
- In a small bowl, stir next eight ingredients together until smooth.
- Heat oil in a hot wok or deep skillet.
- Add garlic and beef strips; stir-fry over high heat for 3-4 minutes or until cooked to the medium stage.
- Quickly stir in sauce, continue to stir until sauce has lightly thickened and is bubbly.
- Serve immediately over rice.
- Crisp snow peas make the perfect accompaniment.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was great (not that I've come to expect anything but from Miller!!) I had forgotten to get Sherry, so had to make it without -- it was still great! Will definitely make sure I have sherry next time. Also, added toasted sesame seeds at the end. Again -- Thanks Miller! I've never made one of your recipes and not thoroughly enjoyed the outcome!
I am always on the lookout for new stirfry recipes, and this one will become a regular for me. Since I had a cut of beef that I felt required some marinating, I prepared the sauce, then drizzled a small amount of that onto the sliced beef. Then, to the beef, I added 1 tbsp of sherry vinegar; I let it marinate for approx 45 minutes, just long enough for the rice to cook. While my hubby set the table and put out the rice and steamed broccoli, I quickly stirfried the beef. The flavour of this dish was EXCELLENT. Many thanks for posting it!